Monday, November 5, 2007

Poker Wingman: To Have (or Have Not)

In a recent copy of Bluff Magazine, I saw an ad for Poker Wingman (a poker odds calculator). After looking over the website I decided to give it a try just to see what it was like and to see if it was worth using. As far as odds calculators go it was a good program. I had very few problems. The upside is it would automatically detect your hole cards and the flop etc.It was just as the site promised.
"...It automatically reads your cards, calculates your odds, and gives specific advice on how to play each hand. The free poker odds calculator works with play-money or real-money sites, and you don’t have to deposit funds in a poker room."

In the end the only real use I found for it was that it remembered my hole cards after I folded (since PokerStars does not show them). Would pay $40 for the pro version? Um No. Although I did try to find a hack for it to no avail. The advantage to the pro version would be to see the pot odds calculated and to control the "style of play". Mainly out of curiousity.

This may be a good program for a beginner and as a "what were my hole cards" assistant, otherwise I would not waste the time. You really have to play the player more than you play the cards. All my playing decisions were made on my knowledge with no assistance from the poker wingman. So what's the point?

Therefore my opinion is Have Not.

Blogger's Note: I plan to try to start including more poker information on the blog beyond just the league, whether it is a review of a book, program, website or just poker news of interest so please feel free to email me your personal reviews, news or big wins and I will be glad to post them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, on Pokerstars, if you simply hover over where your hand was, you can see the cards you folded as well.

trinity said...

article was written well before Pstars started showing hole cards.